Suburb Profiles

    Kardinya
    Kardinya is an Aboriginal word meaning “sunrise”, and was first used for a road name in this area in 1955. The name was approved as a suburb name in 1961.

    With nearly 4000 homes, the area is larger and more diverse than most. Accomodating many price brackets from 2 bedroom apartments up to million dollar plus mansions Kardinya will probably have what you are looking for.

    Only 10 minutes from Fremantle and 3 minutes from the freeway, nothing seems to far away, and with the anouncement of Fiona Stanley hospital in nearby Murdoch, the suburb’s popularity just keeps growing.


    Winthrop
    The suburb of Winthrop was originally part of the Applecross Pine Plantation, owned by the University of Western Australia since 1904.

    The name Winthrop was proposed in December 1977 by the City of Melville and supported by the University of WA, who were developing the land. It is named in commemoration of Sir John Winthrop Hackett, the first Chancellor of the University of WA.

    Winthrop has been prized Real Estate from the day it was established.

    Developed between long established Bateman, Booragoon Willagee & Kardinya, it wasn’t long before those already living close by sought a block in Winthrop to upgrade & upsize.

    Featuring homes generally newer & larger than those in surrounding areas, Winthrop’s prestige remains today, and with an median price over $800,000, only the area’s riverfront suburbs of Applecross, Attadale & Mt Pleasant are performing better.


    Willagee
    The suburb of Willagee takes its name from Willagee Swamp, the Aboriginal name of a feature now reclaimed. The area was developed in the early 1950’s, and the name approved in 1954.


    Murdoch
    This suburb is named after Sir Walter Murdoch. Murdoch was born in 1874, and in 1912 was appointed Professor of English at the new University of Western Australia. He was Chancellor of the University from 1943 to 1947, and died in 1970 shortly before Perth’s second university was named in his honour. The suburb was named in 1974

    Although being a relatively smallish suburb in terms of housing, it currently has a Hospital, (soon to be 2 hospitals) and a train station.


    Samson
    Samson is named in honour of one of Fremantle’s most noted families. Lionel Samson arrived at Fremantle in 1829, and the business he established there, Lionel Samson and Sons Pty. Ltd., is the state’s oldest established family business. Two of his descendants have been Mayor of Fremantle, with Sir William Frederick Samson serving for over twenty years in the 1950’s and 60’s.


    North Lake
    North Lake is a named after the lake of this name within the locality. The lake has been known by this name since 1877, and the name was approved for the suburb in 1954.


    Bateman
    The name is taken from Bateman Road which was itself named after the Bateman family. The name of “Bateman” is that of a well known Perth merchant firm. The company began business in 1857, but the family arrived in the colony on the “Medina” in 1830. John Bateman built a store in Fremantle dealing in merchandise of many kinds and became postmaster at Fremantle in 1833. He also took part in the establishment of a whaling business at Fremantle and after his death in 1855, his sons took over the family business and form a company in 1857.


    Bibra Lake
    The suburb of “Bibra Lake” takes its name from the extensive lake within its boundaries. The existence of the lake was first reported by A C Gregory during a survey of George Robb’s land in May 1842. Gregory recorded the Aboriginal name of the lake as “Walubup”. During the following year, Benedict Von Bibra, surveying his own selection on the southern shores of the lake, recorded the name as “Walliabup” and the latter version was used exclusively on maps for more than half a century. In 1877, it was found the Von Bibra’s association with “Lake Walliabup” was apparently still recalled by locals who referred to the feature as “Bibra’s Lake”. This alternative name was added to plans and eventually in 1967, adopted in place of the Aboriginal name.


    Coolbellup
    “Coolbellup” was recorded by AC Gregory in 1842 as the Aboriginal name of a lake in the area. Surveys by RM. King in 1877 showed the local name to be “North Lake” and both names were shown on plans. The feature is in fact the northernmost of the chain of Lakes lying between Mandurah and the Swan River. In 1954 most of the land west of the lake was resumed by the State Housing Commission and an intensive housing scheme was planned. A meeting in 1957 decided that the place should be called “Coolbellup” in preference to North Lake.